On Sunday I completed 11km which is the furtherest I have ever run. My mom reminded me that I did run a 10km race once but then she emphasized that was when I was young;)! Well I thought I would be celebrating completing this distance but I didn't as it was not a good run.
I was running with my group along the city sidewalks (pavements) which are quiet at 8.30am on a Sunday. The group and I are very considerate of giving others enough space. Unfortunately along the route there was a crazy old lady that stood waving her walking stick in mid air and I got whacked across the arm and ribs. I was not in much pain but I did get a big fright which distracted me and I struggled to keep running but I did finish the route.
Im still not able to laugh at being beaten by an old lady while running but Im sure I will one day. I was in shock for the rest of the day as this incident brought back the emotions and memories of when I was held onto by a spectator while I ran a race along the waterfront in Durban many years ago.
I am still training my mind on getting back to being positive about running but also starting to consider other ways to keep fit instead. I know running has a lot to do with mental attiude which I need to work on. I started my run today in a bad mood with a lot on my mind and I think this is why I battled to run. I did not enjoy my last run and thinking about this did not help me today.
I walked a lot of the route while trying not to demotivate myself but I found I was not motivating myself but listing all the reasons to pity myself like my shoes were uncomfortable and my mp3 player has died and I left my watch at home and it was very windy and my hat had blown off etc. all of which I know made it harder to motivate myself to run but it was only my mind that stopped me from running not any of these reasons.
Usually running makes me feel more positive and motivated so I will not give up running yet......
"Attitude is everything, especially when it comes to running. Without the right running attitude a runner will never reach his or her potential. The mind has a huge impact on running performance and runners must work hard to train their mental outlook, as well as their bodies." http://runners-resource.com/running-attitude/
1 comment:
I'm so sorry you are having a tough time and that the crazy person who whacked you brought back horrible memories.
Post a Comment