23 October 2013

Spinning

I finally decided to try out a 'group cycle' class for the first time as I want do more cardio/tempo training than I do. I am also pleased to be driving again after not driving for over 3 years so I was able to easily get myself to Witney Leisure Centre where they have a spinning studio. I am grateful these classes are included in my gym membership.

I felt overwhelmed when I walked in the studio and I resisted the urge to walk out. This feeling was soon replaced with joy when the party music and lights went on and I started cycling along with the group. I enjoyed the class and didn't feel intimidated. The bike settings and instructions were much simpler to follow than I thought they would be. It is class where you can put in as much effort as you want to.

I don't think I have ever sweated so much - I must remember to bring extra water and to wear less next time.  I will also bring a bigger towel, cycling gloves and disinfectant with next time so I can try avoid touching gym germs. Is there a mouth mask that I can exercise with in there too...? 
http://www.mensfitness.com/training/pro-tips/the-7-grossest-gym-germs
My head didn't want to stop spinning at the end of the class though. I felt the effects of the adrenaline surge but it settled quickly once I was off the bike. The lovely instructor Sophie wisely suggested that I start my cool down before the others do by lowering my heart rate during the last song. This makes sense and I will try to do this next time.
So before I get put off going back I have booked another class tomorrow... I will get back on the bike.
During the class I realised there are other things that I could really enjoy doing that I have been apprehensive to try.

"I thought of that while riding my bicycle." ~ Einstein
in reference to the Theory of Relativity http://www.theargonauts.com/bicycle-quotes/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment