7 October 2013

British Heart Foundation Race - Blenheim

I just uploaded my Garmin GPS data from yesterday's race at Blenheim. I hadn't realised until now that the route had a heart in it for the British Heart Foundation - I think that is very cool idea! It looks like a heart shape inside a real heart shape.

It was meant to be maximum of 18C but it felt much warmer especially while running up the many hills. The description of the route advertised that the 10k route is on tarmac paths so I was surprised to find that a section was on grass as I had not expected it. I see now that this grass section was making the heart shape.

This is my second 10k race I have run (well third as I ran a 10k race 20 years ago) The 10k race I ran in March I finished in 1h1m and yesterday's chip time is 57m01s. The course, the weather and size of race were very different for both races though. I am pleased I felt fitter and finished under an hour.

 
The event was well organised however as with most events a few improvements are needed. I think the following are important points that the organisers need to pay attention to:
  •  Marshals are needed on the part of the route that is shared by people walking to and from parking lot to separate or allow runners through. (This is usually an unsafe road as it is normally shared by cars and pedestrians.)
  • When we arrived we were very impressed with how well marshals were organising the parking. Unfortunately this was not the case when we drove out of the parking area and we waited in a bottlenecked queue for ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment