19 January 2012

Cold Feet

Winter temperatures are below freezing but I have not been running outdoors so that is not the reason for my cold feet. I have not run indoors this week either as I have been resting my back. (I have been walking and swimming though) My cold feet are from thinking about the reality of my fitness level and that I have never run further than 10km before...ever. I only remember running a race more than 5km once and this was about 15 years ago and I dont think I ran since (besides when running late). I am wondering how I will cope with running more than 10km. I hope I can and hope I will!! Every day I get closer to my goal to run 21km on the 6th May. I know I need to do a lot more preparation for this and I need to train more to get fit. I have adopted that little train mantra: I think I can, I know I can.... I look forward to running the race and singing I knew I could I knew I could :)

I now realise I need to put more effort into my plan of preparation, prayer and positive attitude.

"Racing teaches us to challenge ourselves. It teaches us to push beyond where we thought we could go. It helps us to find out what we are made of. This is what we do. This is what it's all about."
-PattiSue Plumer, U.S. Olympian

2 comments:

Genis Pieterse said...

Hi Bronwyn,

Good luck with the training. A half marathon is no small feat. It is best to gradually build yourself up to it.

I am running 3 x 21km training runs every week plus another 2 x 3km speed sessions and a casual 5km, but it took 3 1/2 months to get here. At this point I run an excellent 5km race pace, a reasonable 10km race pace, but my 15km and 21km race pace is still sub-standard. My guess is that the 15km will improve over the next 4-6 weeks and the 21 might take another 4-6 weeks after that. The aim is a sub 6:30/km.

This effectively means that I will run a 21km in 2h17m which is, for me, a reasonable race time. But it still would have taken me 6 1/2 months to get to it. The benefit of taking it slow is that I have not had any injuries etc.

Well keep it up.

Kind regards

Genis

Bron said...

Thank you so much Genis.

Post a Comment