6 November 2011

I am going to do it!

I have decided to enter my first half marathon race. The only running I have done in the last fifteen years has been short distances when I have been late for a bus or train. I used to run cross country races when I was in primary school and only short sprinting distances in high school. That was many years ago and since then I have hurt my knees and my back, so have mostly only done slow walking and cycling.

Fortunately these minor injuries have not affected me in the last few years but I often feel dizzy (low BP/sugar) and I develop burning hives on my legs as soon as my skin warms up from excercise particularly in cold weather. So I am allergic to exercise! This is one of the main reasons (excuses) I have not wanted to run; I will be taking antishistamines in hope to counteract this. Another reason I have not run is lack of motivation, I have not found a pill for that yet.

Winter is approaching and I thought it would be a good idea if I have the goal of a race to work towards. Most of my training will be in the gym until 'snow time' is over. So I am going to register now to do my first half marathon race which is on the 6th May and 21.0975 kilometres (13.1094 mi) long. That is exactly six months away! Gotta run....

5 comments:

Bron said...

I registered!

julieb said...

Yay, great to have something to work to which will help you experience new things! I ran a little when we worked with our personal trainer! Only on a treadmill but I never thought I could and it felt such an achievement. There was something about it that made me feel I could do anything :) way to go Bron xx

Bron said...

Thank you!! I have never run on a treadmill before, I have only stepped at walking pace for at most 20 minutes - so this will be a new experience! xx

kevin said...

Yes it happens to the best of us when you look into the distance and see the big 40 you will feel the need to run before your race is run. enjoy every step along the way Bron just remember to catch your breath along the way.

Bron said...

Thank you Kevin :)

Post a Comment