10 November 2011

Dr Dr

My good friend commented that she thought it was great that I had set this goal for myself as it would help me experience new things. She is right and usually is!
Today for the first time in over a year of living here I decided to go to the doctor. I wanted a medical opinion of my unfit aging body enduring a higher speed for longer distances while being allergic to exercise....
I didn’t know what the procedure was to see a doctor here but I thought this was a good time to find out without being really desperate for one.
I went into a clinic on my way home to find out more and the receptionist asked for my health card and then told me the doctor would see me right away! I wondered if I really looked that unhealthy but hoped it was because the doctor wasn't busy then.
It was a quick painless appointment and he gave me no good excuses that I could use not to run, just a few precautions to take. He told me I have very low BP, I know, he recommended I stay hydrated and eat regularly.
Unfortunately there is not much more than taking antihistamines to treat the exercise hives except not to exercise.
He suggested I carry cab fare and Benadryl with me just in case it flares up while training. I’m sure its going to be tempting to take drugs and get driven home anyway when I get tired.
So besides learning to be a jogger and a blogger I have now learnt that I am medically cleared to run and I know the process of visiting a doctor here.
My next new experience will be to learn about shopping for suitable running shoes. This is now my excuse for not being able to run yet..but I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment