12 November 2011

The Athletes Way

I registered for the race last weekend, I bought running shoes yesterday and I got the courage to jog this morning. As the saying goes even the longest journey starts with just one step and this was my first big step on this path.
I started reading the book 'The Athlete's Way' by Christopher Bergland; he is a 'world class endurance athlete' and in his book he shares a lot of advice about running.

www.psychologytoday.com/experts/christopher-bergland

Reading his attitude to running reminded me that this sport I have chosen is fun to do. I have been researching the internet articles on blisters, chaffing, dehydration, exhaustion, black toes, injuries, pain and discomfort of running, so it was a relief and motivation to read this book filled with inspirational quotes and reinforcing the joy of running and the bliss of sweating. I’m excited about the road ahead now.

I am learning the lingo of the running world and now saying words like gait and over pronators which I had not used before. I would like to find out if being a 'second' is only a South African term? (A support team member to the runner in a race)
My husband is a very supportive second and walked with me on my first jog this morning. He has long legs and so we were probably going at the same speed. I appreciate his support and told him instead of being my 'second' he was my 'first' and he replied....your first aider? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment