At the end of last year I decided it would be good for me to set a new training goal and try to run my next 10k race in March in 55 minutes. This means changing the training I have been doing so far for the half marathon races.
I feel unfit at the moment as I haven't done much running since my last race in November. Now that the new year has started I have been committed to training towards my new goal. It has been a frustrating start to my training but I am making progress. I have battled to run more than I usually do but I'm pleased that I have been running short distances regularly this year.
These are my times completing 5km on a route which includes a large portion of the actual course of the race.
2 Jan
Distance: 5.00 km
Time: 28:53
Avg Pace: 5:46 min/km
7 Jan
Distance: 5.01 km
Time: 28:07
Avg Pace: 5:37 min/km
I have run a few times on the treadmill - the first few attempts I completed 5km in 30 - 33 min (with small incline). Today I did it in 28min (with no hills). I will need to run double that distance at a faster pace to reach my goal.
I am going to look for and try to follow a 10k training program which includes speed/tempo/interval training. I plan to do more training in a high heart rate zone and work on my mind and body's reaction to recovering from this.
I will need to include some long distance runs but this will be challenging for me now that my running buddy has moved away and the countryside is flooded and I don't feel fit enough etc. etc. but - I will see how it goes...and will hopefully update progress here soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment