4 September 2013

Half Marathon

04 Sept
Distance: 21.20 km (plus about 2km)
Avg Pace: 8:28 min/km 
Moving Time: 2:41:40
Elapsed Time: 2:59:30


This is the furthest I have ever gone on foot! (...feet)

I only started recording after we had run about a mile and this doesn't count the 1km recovery walk home. We did walk at times along the way - mostly up the hills and when we were deciding which way to go as it is not a well marked route. I'm very grateful that Jacki has a very good sense of direction because I don't.

It was a very scenic route to a English Heritage site of Minster Lovell Hall ruin. http://www.english-heritage.org.uk We ran past lots of grouse, it was the first time I had seen one. Jackie spotted a woodpecker, kites and a buzzard and amazingly she saw a deer next to the country park in our neighbourhood which I missed. I would love to see one again and hopefully take a photo.

We went through farms with sheep, horses and cows.We also ran through a field which had a "beware of the bull" sign on gate. I regretted wearing my bright pink shirt but fortunately we didn't seem him or get attacked. (Adult bulls are not allowed to be kept in fields which have public footpaths on them.)

Most of the route was on very uneven ground and J and I were both aching a bit so we took it slow as it was also quite hot. It is going to get to 27C today. I'm not going to complain about the heat even though I do prefer to run in cooler weather. I will save my moaning for next week as it is forecast to rain every day and that makes all the routes very muddy and more difficult to run. (and it will dirty my new shoes!)

I'm going to rest my legs from running until next week. If my new running shoes arrive this week then I might take them out for a quick spin ;)

Pics I took en route today:


I have registered to run the Oxford Half Marathon on 13th October 2013.
I will run in a "Helen & Douglas House" vest and hope to raise awareness for the official charity partner: http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

"Helen & Douglas House has the time and expertise to care for children and young adults with life-shortening conditions and support their families. The two hospice houses offer specialist symptom and pain management, medically-supported short breaks and end-of-life care, as well as counselling and practical support for the whole family.
Our aim is to help every young person - aged from birth to 35 – who visits us from Oxfordshire and surrounding counties, live life to the full....even when that life is short."

No comments:

Post a Comment