28 January:
I had my first Yoga class at the leisure centre today. I had not been to a yoga class in years but a lot of the poses I had remembered the name of but my body had not remembered how to get into the positions. I could feel the paralysed sensation in my core and stiffness in my limbs as they stuck up awkardly in the air while those around me (particularly the much older lady next to me) folded elegantly into and around themselves. I kept forgetting which was my left and right side. I also didnt realise (or hear) when the teacher would start off an instruction and then the class would go on do the other side. I felt I had over worked one side of my body and could imagine myself having one side stretched longer and more flexible then the other stiff side - I imagined having to limp out. At the end we did a breathing exercise intended to relax us. I was not following or not listening and could not remember if we were meant to breath down the spine or up the spine and was so worried that I would breath air up the wrong way that I found I had stopped breathing which was not very relaxing. I then decided blowing air out the bottom of the spine seemed the right thing to do and I started to relax imagining this but then my body wanted to obey and I had an urgent need to pass real air out! So I tensed and clenched my body to stop this. Again not very relaxing so I hope next time I am less nervous and can try position myself in better angle to the instructor to try follow her. Although most of the instructions she gave I was not able to look at her as I was meant to be relaxing my neck in another direction.
Tomorrow I am going to try a Pilates class...
No comments:
Post a Comment