26 March 2012

Warmest Winter 2011/12

It was Toronto’s warmest winter, with the least amount of snowfall since record-keeping began in 1937. http://browsebronsblog.blogspot.ca/2012/03/warmest-winter.html

Today's forecast is max 4C and min -4C. The weather has given me a variety of conditions to run in. Last weekend I ran in freezing fog which was not fun as it was difficult to see and it was very cold running in the wind off the lake. When I ran in the week I had a chance to feel what running in warm weather feels like as it was a sunny unseasonably warm 25C; I ran outside in shorts & singlet for the first time . Yesterday was partly cloudy and cool with the temperature in the mid teens when I ran.

I ran 16km yesterday and I ran the same route the weekend before. I would have liked to have compared the data of both on my garmin but on the first run my watch battery went flat just before 'half way'. I have been struggling in the first couple kilometers recently and I notice my pace was much quicker in the beginning than the rest of the run so I will start to run at a slower, steadier pace from now on. This is the data from yesterday:

25 March:
Distance: 16.00km
Time: 1:40:04
Elapsed Time: 1:53:33

Avg Pace: 6:15 min/km

Halfway - turn around point
I am pleased to have run to the bridge and back as this was a goal of mine. I also feel pleased when I run past my previous turn around point along the waterfront as I realise how much fitter I have become in the last few months. I feel disheartened but also motivated when runners go past me so quickly with what looks like very little effort. I don't feel as fit as I would like to be and I think I would enjoy running more if I was fitter but I have to run more to get fitter. I will include more strength training as well as swimming and cycling as cross training now.

Next weekend I will run 18km, this is the longest distance I will run until I run 21km race on 6th May.

The five S's of sports training are: Stamina, Speed, Strength, Skill and Spirit;
but the greatest of these is Spirit.
--Ken Doherty

1 comment:

Lea White said...

What a great quote. I have the same problem not always able to see that I am actually making progress. But you are because look you can do such lovely distances! Sure it might not be as fast as you want, but you'll get there! I've been told by my super-fit friend Paul (http://glossaryking.blogspot.com) that adding biking is definitely a great way to increase fitness and especially if you sometimes add a few hills (I hate the hills).

Post a Comment