Bexhill-on-sea, Remembrance Sunday, 10 November 2013
PB Finish Time: 1:59:08:)
This was my first ‘destination’ race and even though it was only a few hours’ drive away and in the same country it was challenging enough for me making sure I packed everything I needed (wanted).
We spent the afternoon before race day in Horsham reminiscing about our time we stayed there 15 years ago. We then stayed overnight in a Premier inn which incidentally was exactly 13.1 miles from the race registration.
I found this blogger's review of the race useful http://diminutiverunner.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/rest-week-review-poppy-half-marathon.html
I had similar positive experience with no queuing for registration, parking, toilets. There really was ample parking which was free and close enough to registration and the start.
We were very impressed with how well the event was managed. I am grateful for the encouragement from the marshals on the top and bottom of the ramp from the sea front.
A recommendation I would make in any race but particularly because this is a lapped course it would be safer and helpful if all runners were encouraged/reminded to try keep left and pass right.
It was a later than usual start time of 12.30 so I had to adjust my pre-race preparation plan but it was good to attend the remembrance service that morning. I loved gazing at the sun shining on the sea. It was cold and sunny = my favourite weather for running.
A recommendation I would make in any race but particularly because this is a lapped course it would be safer and helpful if all runners were encouraged/reminded to try keep left and pass right.
It was a later than usual start time of 12.30 so I had to adjust my pre-race preparation plan but it was good to attend the remembrance service that morning. I loved gazing at the sun shining on the sea. It was cold and sunny = my favourite weather for running.
I decided I would try run this race for sub 2hour since I finished the last HM race in 2:03. Before the race I worked out the pace I needed would be at least 5.40min/km. This pace was challenging to keep up in the last few kilometres but I finished in: 1:59.08 :)
I was pleased with my fastest finish time and I wonder if I will try beat this. I really like the medal I received as well as the chocolates and lovely poppy iced cupcakes that we were offered at the finish line. I was very impressed that I was able to get a print out of my finish time there too without any hassle.
I had a few more aches than I usually have after running but I did run faster than I had trained for. The long car trip back home with an extra hour delay on the M25 didn’t help.
Thank you as always to my Super Bran for being so supportive.
We visited an English Heritage site near Bexhill-on-sea after the race

No comments:
Post a Comment