3 May 2012

Overtrained

The good news is that my blood tests and ECG results show that I am very healthy, bad news is that I don't feel well. Fortunately the doctor I saw today used to be a competitive athlete and he told me his diagnosis is not one that doctors would normally come to but because of his background he was able to recognise my symptoms and diagnose that I have 'overtraining syndrome'. The doctor advised me to run the race on Sunday slowly and then take a month off from running to allow my body to recover.

He also suggested that I google Tim Noakes (South African) author of 'Lore of Running' to find out more about overtraining. Here are a few links I found interesting:
"Overtraining is a physical, behavioral, and emotional condition that occurs when the volume and intensity of an individual's exercise exceeds their recovery capacity. They cease making progress, and can even begin to lose strength and fitness." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining

I had thought this was the case but I wondered if it might be something else affecting me so I went to the clinic to make sure all was ok to participate in the race on Sunday. It all makes a lot of sense to me now that overtraining for my fitness level and not allowing enough recovery time affects the body in various ways.

I had planned to take a break from my running schedule after the race anyway as I want to cycle and swim more this summer. I have realised there is so much to gain from keeping fit but I have now felt the drain of over doing it, so I will pay more attention to safely building my endurance "SLOWLY but SURELY...." 

"If you under-train, you may not finish, but if you over-train, you may not start." Stan Jensen




No comments:

Post a Comment